Friday, July 01, 2005

The End of an Era - Sandra Day O'Connor Retires

I had a deep-seated feeling that this was coming, if any justice was retiring at all this year, all "Rehnquist is on the verge of death" arguments notwithstanding.

I knew, deep in my heart, that it would be O'Connor. And damn I HATE when I'm right:

Sandra Day O'Connor Announces Retirement

Any SLS graduate who attended any events in the past few years where Justice O'Connor was present knew that she was tired.

I have to go ponder our nation's future now. And what I really feel - since Justice O'Connor meaning for me personally that is greater than just her role as the first female Justice of the United States Supreme Court. Meaning that goes all the way back to that hot, muggy day in June, 1982, shortly after her appointment, that she came back to our mutual alma mater, and served as commencement speaker. Meaning that survives despite all the many hurtful decisions Justice O'Connor has written over the years, when it comes to, in particular, the subject of race.

I'm genuinely afraid for the country right now. I really am.

Damn damn damn DAMN.

But...here's the $64,000 question:

Gonzales? Or Garza?

I'll write more when the fog in my head clears - I admit that I'm still taking it all in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home